June 4, 2019 - First a quick hint, Wilcor News Later Today, and then...
"First thought was we have to save Utica, all these businesses, but no one was listening. Then we said we have to save Wilcor.", stated Shuan Corrigan co-owner of Wilcor International.
April 25, 2018 - Wilcor is a great Utica small business story...
We're looking forward to a "behind the scene" tour tomorrow, April 26, 2018 at 6:00PM sharp!
March 12, 2017 - Hear from a business in the proposed downtown hospital footprint...
*********** 318.42-1-15 ***********
333 Lafayette Street
318.42-1-15 482 Det row bldg
COUNTY TAXABLE VALUE $78,300
City 301600 $14,400
CITY TAXABLE VALUE $78,300
3-16-12-001 50 X 170 $78,300
SCHOOL TAXABLE VALUE $78,300
Claris Llc Utica, 161 Drive Inn Rd
Frankfort, NY 13340
FRNT 50.00 DPTH 173.00
DEED BOOK 2849 PG-350
FULL MARKET VALUE $103,026
|Property Name: Childs Building (Charles H. Childs & Co. Building)||USN:|
|Address: 333 Lafayette Street||Current S/NRHP Status: None; not in CRIS|
|Date: ca. 1909||Style: N/A||Stories: 4|
|Exterior siding: brick, EIFS||Roof: flat||Plan: rectangular|
|Foundation: stone||Sash: replacement||Outbuildings: none|
|Alterations: North facade-refaced with EIFS, storefront|
Physical Summary: Located on southeast corner of Lafayette and Cornelia streets. A 4-story, brick, two-part commercial block with two street frontages. The north façade has a modified storefront with EIFS exterior, recessed central entry, replacement entranceway, and new window openings. Storefront extends to the west side and has a single window opening. All window openings on the upper floors of the building are covered at present; unknown if original sash is intact. The upper part of the north façade is three bays wide and features paired windows with continuous lintels and sills divided by 3- story brick pilasters. A stone name panel, “CHILDS,” is located on the spandrel of the central bay on the 4th floor. The building retains its original cornice and dentil blocks. The first floor of the west side has seven single window openings that are filled in with brick, a single entrance, and a storefront covered with wood panels (unknown if display window & entrance are intact). The upper portion of the west side has symmetrical fenestration; twenty single window openings per floor with stone sills and alternating brick and stone lintels (1st floor has same treatment). A steel fire escape is attached to the west side. The roof has a stairway/elevator bulkhead and a single interior brick chimney.
Sanborn maps: 1899, 2-story dwelling on the site (demolished); 1925, Dairymen’s League Cooperative Association Inc. Warehouse, Auto Sales & Service Station on 1st floor; 1950, part of Berger’s Department Store complex, 1970-1986, Berger’s complex identified as NYS Manpower Training Center-Utica Board of Education.
See Hidden History: The Buckmobile
The building was constructed by C.H. Childs Company, which sold carriages, bicycles, and vehicle chassis. Built as a factory and showroom, the Childs Building is historically associated with the commercial development history of downtown Utica. During the late 19th c., then known as the J.M. Childs Company, the company had a factory down the street on the northwest corner of Lafayette and Seneca streets (Utica Hotel site [see 1883 Hopkins map]). At that location, the company produced farm tools, wagons, carriages, bicycles, and automotive coachwork for over 60 years.
SHPO USN1: 06540.002114
Address: 333 Lafayette Street
Property Name: Charles H. Childs Building
The building is eligible for the State and National Registers of Historic Places under Criteria A as an example of the continuing industrial development of the city of Utica into the 20th century. It is also eligible under Criteria C, Architecture, as an example of an early 20th century large masonry industrial/commercial building. The building was constructed in 1909 by the C.H. Childs Co., which sold carriages, bicycles, and vehicle chassis. Built as a factory and showroom, the company had a factory nearby (current site of Hotel Utica) before this building was constructed and once produced premium farm tools, wagons, carriages, bicycles, and automotive coachwork at the earlier location for over 60 years.We're not opposed to a new hospital, just do not bulldoze Downtown Utica's Historic Columbia-Lafayette Neighborhood... "Build It At St. Luke's!"